Monday, July 26, 2010

How to Make Money Selling your Stuff on Craigslist

I recently came into some baseball tickets. They were great seats in the club level, accompanied by free parking under the stadium. I love baseball. I love $8 beers. The team is actually pretty good this year. Oh, and the game starts in six hours. And I have a baby.

So needless to say, the acrobatics required to line up a last minute sitter, re-analyze my budget to make room for the $8 beers, and find three baseball lovers who were free that evening to accompany me seemed a little overwhelming.

But I would not be wasting the $250 plus dollars worth of tickets. I sold them on craigslist.

Craigslist has been around for about ten years and I have used them for to buy, sell, apply for jobs, and post jobs at my real life job. Its free to post most ads and you can buy, sell, or trade almost anything. So I offered my last minute tickets up to the craigslist Gods to see if I could make a quick online buck.

To post an ad on craigslist, you need an account. The process could not be any easier. You need a valid email and a phone number. You can confirm by text message. Then you just write a quick tag line (4 Club Seats for game Tonight!) and a short description of what you are selling. You can include a photo if you think that will help. Ads are posted anonymously and responses are forwarded to your personal email. Then the email offers start coming in!

I actually got six inquiries about my tickets for a sporting event that was set to begin in less than six hours. After a bit of negotiating I sold my tickets to a gentleman named Darrell for $150. I wasn’t going to use them anyway and the price seemed fair for both of us.

I agreed to meet Darrel’s wife and children at a restaurant close to the stadium for the ticket exchange. We met in a very public place, lest she rob me at knife point. I gave her my tickets. She gave me the cash. We both left happy.

A few days later I got an email from Darrell thanking me for the tickets and letting me know that his family had a wonderful time at the game. He also wanted to be contacted directly if I had more tickets to sell. Another satisfied customer.

Selling your unwanted stuff on craigslist is a great way to make some extra money online and its pretty exciting. I give it an A+ for turning the stuff you already have into online money.

No comments:

Post a Comment